Saturday, January 12, 2008

The Rest of the Story

So, we left our heroine sadly recounting her tale of her unsuccessful attempt to fight an unfair traffic violation.

She morosely returns to court to change her plea to guilty, her finances in shreds due to the happy holiday season.

The judge stares at her in surprise, "Why are you back?"

"I'm changing my plea to 'guilty'".

He looks confused, "Why? Are you guilty?"

"No," she answered slowly, "but I can't afford the bail, the ticket was cheaper."

"So," he questions further, "you'll pay the ticket because you don't have the money for the bail?"

"Yes," she quietly responds.

"And so," he continues, "if I reduce the bail to say, $220, you won't change your plea? Can you afford that? Can you pay that, say, by the first of January?"

"Yes," she answered softly, "I can afford that, and I can pay it by then."

"Okay," he pounds his gavel, "pay the bail by the first of January and make an appointment with the District Attorney." A small passes his lips and then he snaps, "Next!"

The bail is paid, the appointment is made. What faces our plucky heroine next?

No comments: